Here’s a simple way of cooking rice to ensure it has a fluffy texture whilst not clinging together too much.
The idea is not to mess around with the rice too much.
It’s the stirring and general playing around that forces the rice to release all the starch which in many cases can leave you with a soft and sticky mess.
Follow these steps below and you will ensure yourself a fluffy portion of rice that can be easily shaped when cooked.
- 60g Basmati Rice (Per person)
- 120ml Water (Per Person)
- Pinch of Salt
- Weigh the quantity of rice you need per person and measure the volume of water required. (60g/120ml – 1 person, 120g/240ml – 2 people, 180g/360ml – 3 people and so on)
- Bring the water to a boil in a suitable sized pan and add the salt.
- Pour in the rice, stir once to loosen the grains and allow the water to come back to a boil.
- Once the pan reaches a boil, turn the hob down to its lowest setting and put a lid on. Allow to steam for 15 minutes – Don’t be tempted to stir the rice or lift the lid.
- Fluff the rice up with a fork and get ready to serve.
Any other pointers?
Once you’re comfortable with producing perfect steamed rice like this, you can start to experiment with the addition of various spices.
The addition of cardamom pods, cinnamon and turmeric helps to add an extra zing to the rice along with some awesome colour.