A New Recipe – Irish Red Ale


This beer will be made up of my usual Maris Otter base malts but added a quantity of Cara-malt for sweetness, Cara-red for a rich red colour and Roast Barley which will help with the red colour but add a little bitter, Dryness and body to the finished beer.
Keeping it British, a quantity of East Kent Goldings & Fuggles will be used to ensure plenty of aroma without over bittering the beer too much.
The Wyeast inner sachet needs popping to release the nutrients and the package will expand over time. Once expanded use about 3 quarters of the resulting liquid. The rest can be refrigerated and stored for up to a week.
The Irish Moss will help to clarify the beer and isn’t really a necessity in smaller quantities of beers.

Irish Red Ale

715g Maris Otter
230g Cara-malt
230g Cara-red
60g Roast Barley

Hops – Start – Bittering
6g Fuggles

Hops – Middle – Flavoring
3g East Kent Goldings

Hops – End – Flavoring
3g East Kent Goldings

Irish Yeast (Wyeast 1084 – Irish Ale)

1/4 tsp Irish Moss (Added in the final 15 minutes of boil)

Cleaning & Sanitising:

Prepare your sanitiser by dissolving 2 teaspoons of powder or dissolving one tablet in 5 litres of water.
Sterilize all equipment including the demijohn, Syphon tubing, airlock, bung, funnel, thermometer and sieve by soaking in the liquid for around 20 minutes.
Try to hold onto this sanitiser solution until the brewing process is complete as you never know when you’ll need it.


Heat 2.8 quarts (2.6 litres) of water to 71 degrees then add the grain mixture. Stir gently and maintain a temperature of between 62 & 67 degrees for the next hour.
Stir the mixture every 10 minutes until you have reached the 1 hour mark.


With 10 minutes left in the mash, bring the temperature up to 77 degrees. At the same time, start heating up another pan with 4 quarts (3.8 litres) of water to around 77 degrees.
Place the sieve over this second pan and start to pour in the grains. Once all the grains have been poured into the sieve, carefully pour the hot grain mash through the grains.
Then move the sieve onto the empty pan. Gently and evenly pour the 4 quarts (3.8 litres) over the grains and recirculate a couple of times.

You can pass the wort through the grain a couple of times to capture as much of the sugary liquid as you can.


Place the pan containing the wort onto a high heat and bring to a rolling boil. Set a timer for an hour and allow to boil until the time is up.
With 60 minutes left on the timer, add the starter hops as listed above. When you get to 30 minutes, add the middle hops, when you get to 15 minutes add the Irish moss and finally when there are 5 minutes left on the clock, add the end hops. Remember, the earlier the hops are added the more bitter the wort and the later the hops are added, the more aroma will come from the wort.

Ensure you have an ice bath prepared somewhere to cool the wort down to around 22 degrees. A bath or a sink will do.


Using a funnel, pour the cooled wort into the sanitised demijohn. Allow a little space at the top as fermentation will cause a krausen to form which could overflow.
I use a filtered funnel which catches all the left over hops and debris.

Pour three quarters of the yeast into the demijohn, then half fill the airlock with some of the left over sanitiser. Attach to the bung and push into the top of the demijohn to create a seal.
Store in a cool and dark place at room temperature and monitor.


After up to 14 days or when the fermentation has finished, sanitise bottles, caps, and syphon using the same principles as above.

Prime the bottles by adding 1/2 teaspoon of sugar per 500ml or 1/4 teaspoon of sugar per 330ml to them.
Using the syphon, disperse the liquid equally amongst the bottles trying not to disturb the sediment in the bottom of the demijohn.
You can control the flow with a clamp mechanism or if your quick enough place the end from one bottle to the other quickly.

Leave a space at the top of each bottle to allow for fermentation within bottle, cap or close the lid then store in a  cool and dark place at room temperature for around 2 – 3 weeks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s